Had angioplasty, 3 arteries were blocked, stent put in 2 arteries. Stunt advised for 100% blocked third artery. Will Salmon omega 3 help?

Recently 10 days ago I hv gone through angioplasty , 3 arteries were blocked ,stent put in 2 arteries, in 3rd artrie which is 100 % block stunt will be advised to put in next month, but someone telling me to take salmon omega 3 of nutrilite of amway , telling with taking it blokege in third artrie will open and no need to put stunt in third artrie ,is it possible ?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Looking into your history, you have got triple vessel disease. You already have stent in two vessels and third one has 100 % blockage.

Salmon oil contains omega 3 fatty acids, which reduces the 'bad' cholesterol in the body by increasing the HDL cholesterol in the blood. Thus, its consumption is a useful measure for prevention of cardiovascular diseases and it exerts an anti-inflammatory effect.

But its consumption is not going to open up the already blocked vessel. Your artery has complete blockage and requires appropriate medical intervention in form of stenting. Consumption of omega 3 will reduce further risk of any heart problem but that too only when your cardiologist allows you for that.

This time is very crucial and you should avoid any supplements, which are not prescribed by your treating doctor and strictly stick to medicines, which are prescribed to you.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Had angioplasty, 3 arteries were blocked, stent put in 2 arteries. Stunt advised for 100% blocked third artery. Will Salmon omega 3 help? 16 hours later
Thanks for yr reply , after full treatment ,when I can lead normal life , I m in marketing field , when can start driving two / four wheeler ,how much stairs movement can be allowed and when.What basic precaution I should take in my life style and food consumption.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

This is an individualised matter and cannot be predicted . It will depend on how your body recovers from this.

Generally mobilisation is carried out as soon as possible like in 2-3 days . I think you will be able to carry out your activities of daily life by 15 days if everything goes well.

Well definitely our body is what we eat .You should go to a dietician to prepare a diet chart meeting your requirements . Eating more of low-calorie, nutrient-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and less of high-calorie, high-sodium foods, such as refined, processed or fast foods is advisable .

Whole grains are good sources of fiber a that play a role in regulating blood pressure thus try to include them in your food like oats are a good choice. Flaxseeds are also beneficial as they contain essential omega 3 fatty acids . Limit saturated and trans fats in your diet.

Avoid alcohol , smoking and any other addictions . Regular exercise 5 days a week for half an hour will be good but that is only after your recovery.

Hope it suffices .

Dr. Shruti