Had an vacuum abortion. Started on and off bleeding. Should I be concerned?

I had an vacuum abortion on September 5, I was 2 months pregnant. Its been more than a month now, and I keep on having on and off bleedings. Sometimes, I would just stop, and when i'm in the shower, cleaning the inside of my vagina, it would start bleeding again.
Also, I've been having a lot of white. It doesn't itch or anything but its been excessive.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 40 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you had an abortion using suction curretage at about 8 weeks pregnant. Usually, if the procedure is complete, and all of the tissue has been removed, the bleeding should rapidly taper off after a couple of days. I would not expect it to be present for more than 1-2 weeks at most. The fact that you are still bleeding now 4 weeks out indicates to me that there might be some tissue left behind. This is not totally unusual, and sometimes you need a repeat D&C to remove the remaining tissue.

You need to call your doctor in the morning and schedule an ultrasound to look at the uterus to see if there is any "retained products of conception". Reasons to call sooner would include: increased bleeding, pain or fever.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions. Please take a moment to leave me feedback for my answer. Good luck.