Had an ultrasound on left collar bone due to a small moveable lump. What could it be?

I had a ultra sound on my left collar bone due to a small moveable lump. Dr. Says it does not appear to be a lympnode becase it is dark. He just wants to watch it. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Mostly the probable diagnosis is provided in the report of the ultrasound.

Dark appearance of the swelling maybe because of hypoechogenicity, which is actually suggestive of inflamed lymph node. The inflamed lymph node may be due to infection, inflammatory reactions or even metastasis. It can also be a cystic swelling. Brachial plexus roots (some structures in the nerves) may also be hypoechoic, in which case fine needle aspiration may not be needed. Actually brachial plexus roots are also found in the same location.

It is ok to watch it unless the swelling shows characteristics of ominous swelling or cancer. If it was ominous, it would have shown on the report.

If it does not go away, it can be biopsied with fine-needle aspiration for exact diagnosis.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee