Had an ultrasound, found out the gender of the baby. Can it be confirmed again?

May 2013
Hi. I had an ultrasound on saturday and didn't want to find out the sex of my baby. I have since changed my mind as I have watched my DVD back and think I have discovered the gender myself. I was wondering if you were able to confirm this? Could you also please let me know how sure you are and what the chances of it being an umbilical cord are.

Many thanks
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 45 minutes later
thanks for the query.

you didn't mention what is the gestational age,
anyhow just by one or two pictures it is difficult to say the sex of the baby.

with first picture it can be said that,
the skull development of the baby is good,
mouth opening is present,
there is no abdominal wall anomaly.

with second picture it can be said that,
there is no deformity in limb development,
umbilical cord is having three blood vessels, which is normal,
the part which you are thinking may be cut section view of one of the lower limb, as I told with one picture in one direction we cannot judge the gender.

so if discloser of gender is allowed in your country you can ask your doctor who performed the scan, she can tell you correctly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.
Follow-up: Had an ultrasound, found out the gender of the baby. Can it be confirmed again? 3 hours later
That was at 25 weeks and 6 days.

I don't understand what you mean by the skull development as picture 1 resembles two legs and what looks like male genitals
Picture 2 seems to be the left leg with the right tucked behind and again an image of what appears to be a penis directly between the legs?

I have checked the photos that I have sent you an they are the correct ones I chose to send so I am actually more confused now.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

in your first picture:
- baby is lifting both lower limbs flexed at the level of knees, but the structure you are telling is not appearing exactly in the middle,
for example,
You can see the pictures in this link: WWW.WWWW.WW Where genitalia is present clearly in between the limbs.
-and behind the right leg you can see blurred image resembling facial profile.

in second picture the left leg is not appearing completely means it is appearing as flexed, if sound waves passed when baby is moving the limbs it could be tibial cross section.

I don't meant to disappoint you, your findings may also be correct but what I want to tell is as testes will not descent in to scrotum in 70% of cases by 25 weeks, there is possibility of misinterpreting other structures as genitalia.
you can clarify with your doctor.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.