Had an outbreak of genital herpes type1. Blood test was negative. How did I get this?

Mar 2013
I just had my first outbreak of genital herpes type 1. I have not been with nyone but my partner in over 8 months and his blood test came back negative. Now I am confused. How did i get this
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Genital herpes is always transmitted sexually.
This would involve vaginal / anal / oral intercourse ( cunnilingus and fellatio both ) as well as kissing.
There is no way that genital herpes can be transmitted by toilet seats/ tubs etc.
So the route has to be sexual / sex related activities.
Also herpes might lie dormant without breaking out for months or even years.
So you may have acquired the infection from an older partner ( if you were involved with anybody else before 8 months ).
This is the only possibility here.
Please do write back with more details.