Had an eye injury, have trauma induced IOP. Prescribed xalatan, have no vision and lens in eyes. Advise?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I'm a 60 year old woman with an old eye injury to my right eye, which has now shown to have trauma induced IOP of around 30. It's not glaucoma. I have no symptoms, literally no vision and no lens in the eye. One of my doctors said last year that he would not treat my eye with drops, however another doctor thinks it would be a good idea to try it for 3 months and has now prescribed Xalatan, although the pressure has not changed. I'm reluctant to take the medication as I'm blue eyed with some brown nearer the pupil and am worried that it will change the appearance of my eye and that this will be particularly noticeable as I'll be using the drops in the one eye. Can you please give me some advice on what to do?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
An iop of 30has to be treated with eye drops as left untreated it leads to loss of vision which does not recover.
In our set up we use timolol maleat eye drops as the first line of defence,but this decision has to be of your treating physician as they will be following you up to see the control of iop by regular monitoring.
There is no confusion as to what you have to do ,control iop by medicines or if not well controlled then you have to have to have surgery to control iop.
Get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Had an eye injury, have trauma induced IOP. Prescribed xalatan, have no vision and lens in eyes. Advise? 7 minutes later
Thank you Dr Misra,

In my case the vision is already lost due to the trauma I sustained as a child so there would be no change in that respect. Is there any other reason that I should take the eyedrops than preserving sight?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 14 minutes later
My Dear,
in later stages a old glaucoma eye becomes a painful blind eye in a small percentage of cases,that is a situation we would like to avoid by treating it at this stage

Follow-up: Had an eye injury, have trauma induced IOP. Prescribed xalatan, have no vision and lens in eyes. Advise? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your response Dr Misra, it has been very helpful. Kind regards, XXXXXXX Coppin

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 11 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
The eventuality i am talking about may not happen,but is a difficult situation to handle if it occurs
So it is advisable to have small amount of tt to keep iop at normal level.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.