Had an episode of sinus tachycardia. Feeling dizziness. Should I be worried?

my doctor is really concerned and has sent me to a cardiologist and told the receptionist I need to be seen urgently.

I don't agree with my doctor and I believe my heart is okay. I had one episode of sinus tachycardia last week; when I complained of feeling dizzy after the dentist, my doctor took my heart rate and it was 140, my blood pressure was normal. He sent me to the ED where they kept me overnight, tested for thyroid, did a chest x-ray and they were normal. I was given 2L of fluids and it didn't bring my HR down. My heart rate stayed around 120 all night, and would rise to 140-50 when I stood up or would rise when I changed my posture. They discharged me in the morning at 115bpm.

Yesterday, I needed a doctor's certificate, so I went back to my GP who took my heart rate again and it was 124, so he reffered me on to the cardiologist. They gave me an echo test today and the person who did the test told me it all looked okay.

They want me to go back on Thursday for a consultation with the cardiologist, but I am not feeling a real need to go to the appointment. All my tests came back normal so far and I can't keep skipping classes at uni to go to unnesessary appointments.

My question is why is my GP so worried? I've just turned 21 and I'm healthy. Would you give me some advice on how I should manage my situation?

Thank you
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Your doctor is right because the heart rate is high.

That heart rate is indicative of tachycardia and they want to arrive at the exact etiology of that. So definitely a cardiologist consultation is required.

Do not worry about skipping few classes. Please go a head as advised by your doctor.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Had an episode of sinus tachycardia. Feeling dizziness. Should I be worried? 6 hours later
Thanks for your help,

I think it is unlikely they will find a reason for my high HR and I think it's probably just natural for me to have one.

What happens if they can't find an etiology?
I just noticed that my heart rate seems to increase when I stand up or change my posture. Could this be a postural thing and should I mention this to the cardiologist?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

But it is important for you to get checked up once. They may or may not find a etiology.
There will be a increase in heart rate on standing when compared to lying down posture or sitting posture. This is because of the increased energy requirement.
But if there is disproportionate increase you should definitely mention it to your cardiologist.

Follow-up: Had an episode of sinus tachycardia. Feeling dizziness. Should I be worried? 31 hours later
Thanks so much for your help so far,

I went to the cardiologist, and he got me to admit that I feel my heart pounding when I stand up.

His suggestion was that I might have POTS and he's going to contact my GP who might want me to do the tilt test to confirm it.

Hopefully, this will ease my doctor's mind.

Is it important for me to recieve a diagnosis of this, if it's the case?

If I have another episode of tachycardia, I'd like to have a diagnosis to explain why it's happening, to avoid worry.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 minutes later

There is no harm in having a diagnosis for the problem you are having.

If at all it is a harmless condition you can just relax and forget about it.

I suggest you should just take that little more trouble of arriving at a diagnosis because that is important.