Had an episode of chest pain, tingling sensation on arm. EKG normal. Now got pregnant. Heart related problem?

I am 29 years old. I am an active and healthy eater. I run, play tennis and do pilates and barre. In April 2011 I had an episode of "chest pain". I had blood work done and ekg and showed nothing. Dr said it was anxiety. I switched doctors and had a treadmill stress test with XXXXXXX injection. It showed nothing. My new doctor thought i might have a murmur so he sent me for an echo. The echo showed my heart healthy, but very slight MVP with slight regurgitation.
All was well and then I had another episode in November 2012 - Christmas 2012. My arm would get tingly and my neck was stiff and tense. I also saw my cardiologist and he did an echo and said if anything my murmur had improved and that the pain i was feeling was not heart related. I was not happy with this answer and went to a different cardiologist for a second opinion and he performed a stress echo. He said my heart looked great and was 99.9% sure my pain was not heart related. So I went to my MD & said he thought it was costrocontritis and a pinched nerve. I went to physical therapy and all seemed well. But then again mid February I was on a ski trip and started to feel the chest pain again. I thought maybe it from a yoga class I had performed the day before. But when we got home I called my md and he said it could be the cochstrocontritis again. He said we couldn't treat bc I am now 5 months pregnant. I tried calling my cardiologist to see if he would run tests, but he said he didn't need to see me because after the test he ran he doesn't think it is my heart. Well this problem is driving me crazy!!!!

Its now April and while my chest doesnt hurt, my back is hurting and my arms have weird pains in them and my neck is tense and feels strained. Sometimes under my rib I feel almost cramp like- where I want to be able to stretch it out.

What do you think the underlying problem is? I spend everyday on edge just so scared and worried that I am going to have a heart attack. Is there something the cardiologists are missing? Before I got pregnant in end Dec I weighed 120 at 5'2 and had blood pressure 120 or 116/60. My weight now is 128 and BP was 110/50 last appt. My cholesterol was 200 exactly and partly bc my good cholesterol was 85 or 90. Do you think I have a nerve or muscle I keep agitating that sends the weird chest pains and sometimes arm pain and tingling? Is there a better test I could have performed to see if it is my heart? I also went to the ER one night in December 2012 bc I was so worried bc my chest and arm flt weird and they did chest xray and ekg and said everything was normal. Please help. I don't want to suffer this anxiety anymore. It is causing me panic attacks and I don't enjoy the days with my children bc i'm so on edge trying to analyze every little pain or unusual feeling i get. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
From your description and results of the clinical, EKG, X XXXXXXX and cardiac ultrasound findings, it shall be very very unlikely that you should have a cardiac problem. However, the anxiety you are feeling should not really be necessary, especially for you after doing all these tests.
For the pain you feel at the level of the chest, I suggest you run tests for markers of inflammation (ESR and CRP) are sufficient to tell us whether there is an acute inflammatory reaction or not, which can orient diagnosis. I suggest you modify your diet and do some exercise in a gradual fashion to lose some weight, this could really help.
I suggest you stay calm, be positive for its really unlikely you got a cardiac problem per say.
I suggest you consider your children and have a nice time with them and loved ones. I suggest you book an appointment with a psychiatrist for proper advice.
Thanks an hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.,
Follow-up: Had an episode of chest pain, tingling sensation on arm. EKG normal. Now got pregnant. Heart related problem? 21 hours later
Why do I need to modify my diet and loose weight? I am 20 weeks pregnant and weigh 128lbs and am 5'2. If it is not my heart that is the problem then what do you think the problem is? Are there other tests that could prove it is not heart related?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 minutes later
Hi and thanks for he query,
Fortunately, the essential tests to evaluate heart function , the EKg and the cardiac ultrasound have been done already on you, and they are normal. I would pray on you not to think again that you really have a heart problem for two min reasons:
1. The normality of these tests and clinically normal cardiovascular status
2. In general during pregnancy, for people who have preexisting cardiac problems, these problems usually become more severe.
These conditions are all absent in your case, and so, i feel you should not be bothered.
My advice with the diet was insisting on a vegetable and XXXXXXX fruit diet especially.
I suggest you remain and follow appropriately your antenatal clinic calendar. However, do not hesitate consulting your treating Obstetrician particular concerns if need be. For now, I feel you are fine.
Be good and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.