Had an endoscopy, sliding hiatal hernia, GERD. Slow digestion. Can I have esophageal cancer?

I have a question on statistics of people my age getting esopohgeal cancer?

I am 34. 3 year ago I had an upper endoscophy done with a diagnosis of a 2cm sliding hiatal hernia, GERD, and H.Pylori.

Just had some symptoms come up a few days ago and reading about it makes me a little worrysome. When I eat it feels as if the food just sits in my chest and takes forever to digest. Not really sure what is going on and wondering if it sounds bad.

Could that much have changed since I had my scope done?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Although H. pylori infection does not cause illness in most infected people, it is a major risk factor for peptic ulcer disease and is responsible for the majority of ulcers of the stomach and upper small intestine. However, it can cause gastric cancer also. A combined analysis of 12 studies of H. pylori and gastric cancer estimated that the risk of adenocarcinoma in the stomach was nearly six times higher for H. pylori-infected people than for uninfected people. Treatment of H Pylori with antibiotics reduces this risk to a great extent. I assume that you got this treatment 3 yrs back.

GERD and hiatal hernia do not increase risks of stomach or esophageal cancer unless it is associated with something called 'Barret's esophagus'. It is a condition where the normal esophageal lining gets converted to stomach type. Probably you did not have this.

With the current symptoms and past history, it is certainly prudent to have another endoscopy done, since three years have passed. If it is normal then you can continue to take anti-reflux measures only. If hiatal hernia is troublesome then a small procedure to correct it may be needed.

Hope I have answered you query. Don't hesitate to write again if you have further follow-up queries.
Follow-up: Had an endoscopy, sliding hiatal hernia, GERD. Slow digestion. Can I have esophageal cancer? 12 hours later
So do you think I am worrying for nothing since I am 34 and had a clear scan 3 years ago.

Unrelated to this I did have a Abdomen and Pelvic CT scan done recently which is attached to my profile that was completely normal.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

The normal Computed tomography (CT) scan is reassuring and probably you are doing fine, but with these symptoms and the past history it would be wise to get another endoscopy done.

Hope it clears all your doubts. Let me know if you have any further queries.
If all your queries are answered, please accept the answer and close the discussion.