Had an endoscopic biopsy of a pancreatic cyst. Vomited and dizzy after after demerol. What is the relation?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I just had an endoscopic biopsy yesterday of a pancreatic cyst. They put me out with Demerol and something else to make me sleepy. I woke fine at 3 pm and was a little dizzy and wobbly, vomited once, got intravenous zofran and another bag of saline, got driven home, went to sleep and slept all night. Today was fine, just a sore throat. About mid day the insides of my upper legs started to ache like crazy. They still do at 6 pm. Is there any correlation between the events of yesterday and the achy legs?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Analgesics and sedatives are used as a premedication to the procedure so that the procedure be comfortable. Some of these may cause some aches and pains later but are mild and self limited.
The raw sensation in the throat is an aftereffect of local anesthesia and the scope insertion. It will gradually subside over a day.
The biopsy on the pancreatic cyst perse causes none of the problems stated and be assured that all of them will resolve spontaneously
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Had an endoscopic biopsy of a pancreatic cyst. Vomited and dizzy after after demerol. What is the relation? 30 minutes later
I forgot to mention that the hospital gave me a big dose of IV cipro, and an oral prescription which I began today, 500mg, twice a day, to prevent infection. Can that cause the achy legs? I also have a vague tendonitis in my elbow. Should I take another cipro pill tonight or should I wait to talk to the doctor tomorrow? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 28 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

Sorry I could not respond to you in time.

Though Ciprofloxacin is a safe drug, can cause some tendinitis but you need to rule out other causes before stopping Ciprofloxacin. Seeing your doctor helps, if you have not yet.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Had an endoscopic biopsy of a pancreatic cyst. Vomited and dizzy after after demerol. What is the relation? 7 hours later
Thank you - you were right the first time. It resolved itself in 12 more hours so must have been the sedatives.Thank you very much for your help! XXXXXXX

Hi again dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the feedback.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.

Dr XXXXXXX