Had an electric shot, affected with polio. Exercise not yielding any recovery. Permanent cure?

My friend's son is of age 8 now living at Mumbra , Dist XXXXXXX Mumbai. Before 2 years he happened to touch electicity plug point n somehow had have electric shock .His oneside hand n leg have been affected of polio. He is having regular excercise at polio hospital, haji XXXXXXX but there is no sign of complete recovery . is there any speacialist doctor or hospital for permanent cure?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does he have fever?
2.) Does he have sore throat or headache?
3.) Does he complain of back pain?

Your history suggests he is suffering from Paralytic Polio. Electric Shock has no effect on the Polio status. Kindly get him examined by a Pediatrician/Orthopedician at any specialty Hospital so that and run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) CSF analysis.
3.) Sample of throat, if he has sore throat.

I would want to let you know that Polio is not curable, the focus of treatment is on increasing comfort, speeding recovery and preventing complications. Supportive treatment options include,

1.) Walkers if he has difficulty walking.
2.) Antibiotics for secondary infections.
3.) Nutritious diet, which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
4.) Analgesics if he experiences pain.
5.) Physiotherapy and regular exercises to prevent joint stiffness and weight gain.
6.) Take him for regular follow up.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW .

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish him Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.