Had an amoebic infection. Could I take probiotic to cure the infection?

If I had an amoebic infection would the good bacteria in my probiotic fight off the infection eventually?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not likely, since Amoeba is not a bacteria

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. Probiotics contain good bacteria, which help fight with the bad bacteria in the gut, and act synergystically with the antibiotics. However, please note that amoeba is not a bacteria, but a parasite. Hence, it is unlikely to resolve with probiotics alone. Infections with amoeba require treatment with anti amoebic drugs like Metronidazole, Tinidazole etc. Also of note is that, these drugs do not have much serious or long term side effects. Most common is a metallic taste in mouth.

Since you are suffering from chronic diarrhoea, it may not be an infection, rather certain other pathology of the gut like Coeliac disease, glutein sensitivity, tropical sprue, etc. These and many other conditions need to be ruled out before prescribing antibiotics.

I would suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist or an XXXXXXX Medicine specialist at the earliest for a thorough evaluation and management of your chronic problem. You can also share your concerns of side effects with medications with the treating doctor, who, I'm sure will help you with it.

Hope I've been able to satisfy your query. Please feel free to contact me for any further clarifications. If there is none, please close the discussion and rate the same.

Best of luck,
Dr. Sourav.