Had an accident, injured shoulder and hips. Unable to lift injured arm. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had an accident at work last year and fell backwards off a 5 foot wall. I injured my right shoulder, hip etc. One year later, I cannot lift the injured arm out to the side.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suspect Rotator cuff arthropathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your brief description, I am of the opinion that you may have suffered a rotator cuff tear in your accident which might have resulted in weakness in shoulder abduction.

A direct clinical examination and an MRI scan of the shoulder joint confirms the diagnosis.

Management of this condition (once diagnosed) depends on the size of the tear and any associated lesions.

* If tear is a partial or small, a trial of conservative treatments is advised.
conservative treatment includes NSAIDs, along with physical therapy to strengthen the rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer muscles.

* If the tear is large enough, either an arthroscopic or open reconstruction may be needed.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification

Follow-up: Had an accident, injured shoulder and hips. Unable to lift injured arm. Suggest? 4 hours later
Many thanks for your reply.
I have actually had 9 months of physio and it was my physiotherapist that suggested a referral to orthopaedics. I hope they can do something as it is limiting what I do. It can be sore hovering, I have 2 pups that I can't take on the lead in the right arm, I have had to give up yoga etc.

My work is in an office and using the mouse all day is extremely painful, also I deliver mail!! Not ideal with a shoulder injury!!

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
An Arthroscopic surgeon's consultation is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

As you have been on physiotherapy for 9 months without any improvement in symptoms, I think that there is no role for conservative management in your case.

I suggest you to have an MRI scan of your shoulder joint and consult an Arthroscopic surgeon for further plan of action.

In the meantime, Use analgesics like Advil or Aleve as needed. Ice packing of the affected area once in 2 hours will alleviate the pain.

Hope I have addressed your issue. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Good day