Had an accident. Got small lump. Diagnosed with hernia. Surgery done. Is this due to accident?

General Surgeon
I had a car accident, and I never had pain or a lump on my right lower side before.. I was bruise after the accident . I told my doctor about my pain and He said When the bruise goes away it will also go away. but I still had the pain and a small lump. Then my doctor told me I have a Hernia . This was cause by my accident. I had surgery for this. my doctor said the accident could have cause this .Now the surgeon that did my surgery and said this could not be cause by a car accident to my lawyer. I never spoke the surgeon about my accident I only went to him to get the surgery. This all started after my accident. Can a car accident cause a hernia?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, car accident can cause a hernia. But only in the person who is prone to hernias and has a weak place in the abdominal wall. This weak place can become a hole when the high pressure is put on it. And such high pressure can be created by physical activity, coughing and car accident as well.
So the answer is yes, this is possible. Moreover this lump has appeared after the car accident and has never been there before.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.