Had an accident. Blood work, ultra sound and biopsy normal. Having edema. What are the risks?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was in a car accident on 06/15/12, Sciatic nerve damage is suspected. MRI has not been completed due to swelling in the lower lumbar is still excessive. Incidental findings of Thyroid Nodules was discovered, after consulting and Endocrinologist, blood work, ultra sound and biopsy has been completed. All blood came back normal, liver function, sugar, thyroid. Cholesterol was slightly elevated 164. Biopsy results for the solid nodules of 22 mm, 17 mm, and 14 mm are due in 07/05. I am 45 years of age, overweight, but have no other health issues. BP is slightly elevated at recent appointments but always reduces prior to leaving the Dr Office. The current problem is Edma. This involves my whole body....How much swelling is too much? When is enough enough to where I should seek ER treatment if it does not reduce? And which problem could it be related to? I am on muscle relaxers, narcotics, and anti inflammatory medications in addition to a stool softer and stimulant to counteract the effects of the pain medications. Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Swelling all over your body could be due to not taking adequate fluids coupled with a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude, etc. Taking laxatives in overdose and anti inflammatory drugs can aggravate the swelling.
You can stop taking laxatives and cut down salt in your diet. Adequate hydration is necessary. There is no specific cut off limit of edema. If your body weight has increased by more than 10% then treatment is needed.
If the edema persists then I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO and urine tests done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.