Had an abscessed root canal done. Jaw has hard knot and swollen. Have an artificial mitral valve. Any danger of getting infection in blood?

I just had an abcessed root canal done 5 days ago. My jaw swelled up and I have an artificial mitral heart valve? I am running low grade fever. I am 65 years old and on clintamycin 3 times a day but I have not improved. I feel very weak. My email is ccblue@ WWW.WWWW.WW My name is XXXXXXX I feel like I need to go to the hospital. My dentist is out of town until Monday. The tooth is not hurting just my jaw has a hard knot and swollen. It has been 5 days .the doctor is out of town. Can I be in danger of getting infection in my bloodstream that can be bad for my heart. I am just scared.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gargle,antibiotic,NSAID& serratiopeptidase.Consult

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through your query and understand the concern.

5 days after root canal, swelling, pain and fever suggests infection. If there is any pus formation / abscess then needs to be drained or else the fever will increase with increase in severity of pain. If no abscess then antibiotic along with other supportive treatment should be given.
If left untreated then the chance of septicemia (getting infection into bloodstream) is there. So this needs good precaution.

For now, continue antibiotic, do salt water / betadine gargle three times a day, give hot compression and take NSAID like diclofenac with serratiopeptidase for pain and swelling after consulting your doctor. You may require addition of other antibiotic based on examination. So consult your doctor for examination and further management as explained.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.