Had an abdominal ct for potential abscess. Feeling uncomfortable. What does the report suggest?

I had an abdominal ct for potential abcess. The report said there was a 2 cm mas s along the of theright lateral margin of the pancreas at the junction of the head and uncinate process. No pancreatic ductal dilation or inflammation. My gi doc ordered pancreatic function blood work which was normal. I have no symptoms of weight loss jaundice our pain. The gi doc said the ct reading must be wrong but he hasn't recommended any follow up tests. He said to come in the end of august. I'm uncomfortable with this and called his office to try to get an order for follow up tests but no go. I was just told to see him in august. What do you recommend?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Mass along the margin of pancreas can be due to different causes like pancreatic cyst, chronic pancreatitis [inflammation], neoplastic mass either benign or malignant.

But your pancreatic function tests have come normal as mentioned above. In addition to that, there is no pancreatic ductal dilatation or inflammation.
Again you do not have pain/jaundice/weight loss.

Considering the results of tests mentioned above , possibility of inflammation/ neoplastic changes are less likely.

So it is better to go for ERCP i.e endoscopic retrograde pancreatography and biopsy - pathological examination. Both above mentioned tests reveals ductal system of pancreas and neoplastic/inflammatory changes respectively.

You can discuss this issue with your GI doctor and get the tests done instead of waiting till August end.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Had an abdominal ct for potential abscess. Feeling uncomfortable. What does the report suggest? 43 minutes later
Thank you. can you clarify what the word neoplastic means? I will insist on seeing the doctor to get the test ordered.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Neoplastic means cancerous growth. It can be benign i.e will not spread to other parts of body or can be malignant i.e spreads through out body leading to bad prognosis.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.