Had an abdominal CT scan and an abdominal ultrasound. What does enlarged renal lymph node mean?

I have had an abdominal ct scan and an abdominal ultrasound for lower left abdominal (and back) pain....what does an enlarged renal lymph node mean?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer and metabolic diseases. Since you are having a history of bladder cancer and now renal lymph nodes have appeared on abdominal ultrasound/ CT scan, you need to get a positron emission tomography (PET CT scan) scan done to find out whether it is an active lymph node and whether metastasis has occurred.

PET/CT is mainly used for diagnosis, staging or restaging malignant disease and metastases and evaluation of treatment response. So I would suggest that you consult your treating physician and get yourself evaluated.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.