Had an MRI that revealed lobulated fluid signal abnormality descending thoracic aorta. Is this cancer?

Question
I had an MRI done and was told that there is a lobulated fluid signal abnormality seen just posterior to the proximal descending thoracic aorta that measures approximately 2.9 cm in diameter and is seen just anterior and to the left of the upper thoracic spine. Can you explain...is this cancer?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 hours later

The findings that you have described could result from hiatus hernia, neurogenic tumors and paravertebral masses. However, the exact cause can only be determined after clinical correlation.

I would request you to consult your treating physician who will be able to perform a complete assessment and prescribe appropriate therapy.

To help me assist you better, please let me know if you are currently experiencing any symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Had an MRI that revealed lobulated fluid signal abnormality descending thoracic aorta. Is this cancer? 7 hours later
the only symptom that I can think of is a little wheezing when I lay on my left side and breath shallow

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 15 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a disease process that is compressing the lungs. I would suggest that you consult your treating physician who will be able to evaluate you further and prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.