Had an EKG. What are the diagnosis?

Hello,I had an ekg last week and they siad that i have borderline inferior q waves (PR 161) and borderline st elevation anterior leads (80) sinus bradtcaria rate of (48) i am 32 and in shape (workout crossfit 4 time per week) blood pressure 110/80
this was for a physical for employment is this an issue or within the normal range.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes sir, it could be an issue; need to investigate

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Let me help you to understand your ECG (EKG) better by addressing each parameter and its meaning.

Borderline inferior 'Q' waves: I am sorry to inform you that 'Q' waves are seen when there is either a block in the heart; or due to a current or old myocardial infarction (MI), which is a heart attack; in the inferior leads of the heart

Borderline ST elevation: Is a characteristic feature of an MI, and when seen along with the presence of 'Q' waves, unfortunately MI is usually the cause

Sinus bradycardia: Is a slow heart rate; considered when the heart rate is lower than 60 beats per minute

Your blood pressure is normal at 110/80 mm Hg

In such a scenario, it is best to immediately check for cardiac enzymes (if they are elevated, this confirms a recent cardiac event). A repeat EKG would also be required, along with an echocardiography (which is a scan of the heart). The reason why these tests are recommended is because we will have to rule out a possible heart attack, and if god forbid it is diagnosed, then we will have to initiate treatment immediately. I hope you understand why this can be an issue sir.

Please re-visit your doctor at the earliest and request for the above investigations. You can also write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.