Had allergy in throat and nose, prescribed antibiotics and treated. Feel blockage in ears, no pain or soreness

I had allergy in my throat and nose a few days back. I went to a doctor who prescribed me some antibiotics and I got well after a few days. Since then I feel some sort of a blockage in my ears (primarily in my left ear). There is no impact on my hearing. There is no pain or soreness in the ear, I just feel like it is puffed or blocked with something, and I feel movement in that thing in the ear mostly when I clear my nose. Please suggest something.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need examination

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

Ear blockage can be due to many things.

We first need to start by getting the ear examined by an ear, nose and throat specialist. It may just be wax that got stuck in the ear. An ENT specialist can easily remove it.

It may also be a result of inflammation secondary to the infection of the throat. Since ear is connected internally with the nose, it is usually affected during colds.
You can try one tablet of cetrizine (an antiallergic). It may help open up the tube that connects throat with ear and help getting back the balance. Also try swallowing or yawning for opening the tube.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Had allergy in throat and nose, prescribed antibiotics and treated. Feel blockage in ears, no pain or soreness 12 hours later
How many Cetrizine (and at what frequency) should I take to see if its working or not? I am kind of busy these days and do not have the time to go to a doctor. It would be great if cetrizine helps.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Cetirizine tablet comes in the dose of 5 and 10 mg and has to be taken once a day. It should be taken only if symptoms are present.

In your case you can take just one tablet of cetirizine 5 mg before sleeping. You will notice a difference in symptoms next day. If it works, then take one more dose next day before sleeping.

Dr Vaishalee