Had allergy. Woke up dizzy and glands in neck are swollen. Otitis affecting the facial nerve from swelling. Suggest treatment?

Dec 2012

Hi I had over the last week plus what started out as a sinus/allergy condition that I get every year usually in the spring or fall. It turned out to be an earache which seemed like middle and outer also and I woke up dizzy at the end of last week my equilibrium was off too. The glands in my neck were swollen and behind the ear on my head I had some pain too which I learned since is my mastoid. Now a week later the glands are down, no headache, the mastoid is down but I still have pressure in the ear and I am still having trouble with my equilibrium. Then over the last couple days I have had trouble on one side of my face which I read is from a more than likely the affects of an infection that could have come from the mastoid or otitis affecting the facial nerve from swelling or direct pressure on the nerve. In acute infections I read the weakness usually subsides as the infection is controlled and the swelling around the nerve subsides. I have never had anything like this before and am worried and concerned naturally. While I do feel much better than I did I still have pressure in the one ear which might still indicate an infection which is why I must still have dizziness.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most likely having acute otitis media AOM

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am sorry for your troubles. You are obviously having an ENT problem with the most likely loci being an ear infection and yours most likely being of bacterial or viral origin. If bacterial origin then you will require a course of antibiotics such as amoxi-clavulinic acid or cloxacillin etc. These antibiotics require prescription after a doctor's examination. So I do suggest you book an appointment so you can properly be examined for signs of ear infection. I also recommend you doing this as soon as possible because of a likelihood of meningitis by hematogenic pathway of the bacteria to your meninges.
If the infection is viral, then all you will need is antiinflammatory (either steroidal or non-steroidal) to relief your symptoms. In some rare occasions , antiviral medications such as acyclovir can be given in order to help with the infection.
So saying, you obviously require treatment which I now wonder why you have not seen a doctor up till now. Also additional medications such as antihistamines could help with allergy is simply the cause.
Just try to book an appointment with one as soon as you can if you have available the means to do so (i.e either have an up-to-date insurance coverage or the financial means).

Hope this helps and wish you the best. Please feel free to write back for further clarifications.
Dr. Nsah