Had allergic reaction to cocaine, swollen and runny nose. Having difficulty in swallowing. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had an allergic reaction to cocaine and now my nose is swollen and I can't inhale or blow out. It is swollen and running. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed Flonase and allergy medicine zyrtec. But it has been a couple hours and still no change. I am all so having difficulty swallowing because my throat is dry from breathing out of my mouth. Please help
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 45 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Use OTC Xylometazoline (Otrivin) Nasal Decongestant Drops liberally in both nostrils with the head thrown back. Lie on a bed with a pillow under your shoulders. Blow ur nose well after a few minutes.

2. This should open up your nose quickly for a few hours.

You may follow up here. I will be available to answer your questions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had allergic reaction to cocaine, swollen and runny nose. Having difficulty in swallowing. How to get relief? 38 minutes later
I have oxymetazoline hci, is that the same thing. If so it has not worked. If it is not the same then is OTC available without a prescription.

Also I have not been able to blow my nose because it is so swollen that I have to push very hard and it feels like I'm going to pop my ear drums

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Xylometazoline is a more powerful decongestant. It is available OTC without a prescription.

Regards.