Had adenoid tonsillectomy. Now swollen gum with no bleeding. Facing difficulty to eat. What to do?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
My son of 7.5 yrs just had adenoid tonsillectomy 5 days ago. His gums are swollen but there is no bleeding. Incidentally immediately after the surgery, my son vomited blood in the recovery room and had to be reoperated for stitches. In the follow up, the surgeon said he is recovering well but but my son is not eating at all either for fear of pain or some discomfort. Is everything alright? Is gum swelling normal and will it subside?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 40 minutes later
Thanks for asking for help here at XXXXXXX

Pain/discomfort is quite common following adenoid-tonsil removal surgery. You have not mentioned what pain killers and antibiotics is he taking?

Is he running any fever?
Does he drink alright - water, juices etc?

I would suggest to ask him what he feels when he is trying to eat. He should be able to explain whether it is fear or pain or discomfort preventing him from eating food.

If it is pain or discomfort which is not improving with the pain killers, you would need to consult your doctor and enquire whether any extra pain killers or analgesic sprays/mouth gel can be used.

Gum swelling is not normal but should subside in couple of days. If it doesn't, you would need to get him checked over by a Dentist.

It is quite safe to take Paracetamol &/or Ibuprofen containing pain-killers in this situation.

I hope I have been able to help with your queries.
Please do revert back if you have any further questions or doubts.

Dr Tejas Shah

Follow-up: Had adenoid tonsillectomy. Now swollen gum with no bleeding. Facing difficulty to eat. What to do? 1 hour later
He has been given Augmentin Duo for 7 days, Ibugesic and Bicosule too for a week. He is consuming fluids comfortably and has been having chewing gums too for exercise. Can u pls advise what kinds of hard/semi solid foods I can give him? I am a South Indian and generally cook only bland foods.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 6 hours later
Thanks for reverting back.

Ibugesic is a good analgesic medications. I hope you are giving him on a 8 hourly basis.

If he is taking liquids well, don't worry about solid food. He is getting enough calories from what he is taking currently.

Semisolids like upma, rice or pulav are good because they can be swallowed easily with much less discomfort. Pain/discomfort should come down within next 2-3 days. If it persists after that, please get reviewed again by an ENT specialist.

Don't hesitate to come back if you have any further questions. Request you to leave me feedback which helps other patients.

Dr Tejas Shah