Had acute jaundice. Was put on ventilator for low breathing. Unconscious, reported for multiple organ failure

Pls anlayze the reports & let us know the exact condition of the patient. He is my mom's brother. He is getting currently treated in Asian Institute of Gastroenterology. They say condition is multiple organ failure
It all started with Acute Jaundice, Initally he was treated in XXXXXXX Hosptial for Jaundice who suggested that Jaundice was treated. We then discharged him & continued the medication in Home. After 3 days of discharge, He was all time sleeping so we took him to the current Hospital ie Asian Institute of Gastroenterology. They admitted him saying the breating was low in ICU, they put him on ventilator. Initally 3 days he was good but current situation is that since last 3 days, he is unconcious & not responding to any of our calls. Pls check the reports & confirm.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 4 hours later
Went through the reports provided and summary given by your doctor.
Well he is unfortunately suffering from advanced liver disease Cirrhosis which means there is an irreversible scarring of the liver which cannot be normalized. In addition he has severe alcoholic hepatitis which by itself has very poor survival which in addition to cirrhosis makes the situation grave.
Underlying diabetes, obesity, need of ventilator and dialysis means his other systems are failing along with encephalopathy (unresponsiveness).
All these are pointers of severe liver failure and multi organ failure.
This carries very high mortality and poor prognosis.
Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had acute jaundice. Was put on ventilator for low breathing. Unconscious, reported for multiple organ failure 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your response. In your view, what should be the cource of treatment that is best for my uncle in his present situation. What are his chances of survival & how long do we keep him in ventilator? There is lot of cost getting involved on daily basis !
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 13 hours later
Thank you for the query,
I think he is in best hands. AIG is a very good centre.
I am sorry but the chances of his survival are poor on the basis of reports provided by you. But this chances vary on day to day assessment. He will need to be on ventilator till he starts breathing spontaneously and with good effort. Yes there is lot of cost involved on day to day basis since he is in multi organ failure.
Hope this answers your query. Best wishes