Had acne on cheek, applied Benzyl Peroxide, left with dark spots after popping. Applied Adeferin. Suggest?

I had two acnes on the cheek which have now gone. I had applied Benzl Peroxide for the acnes. However left with dark spots which remained since I had popped these acnes. I have fair skin. I was told to apply Adeferin gel overnight to fade this dark spots. I have been applying it for a week but no effect.

I never had acnes in the past till date.

Is there any cream or other remedy to fade these spots. How long does it take to get rid of them
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are creams and remedies for dark spots

Detailed Answer:

Dark spots left behind by pimples usually are self limiting. It usually fades in 1 to 2 months. If you get a new pimple by then again that will leave behind dark spots. So treatment to prevent further new pimples also is important. That way adaferin gel helps as it is a good maintenance gel.

For best results from the dark spots I suggest glycolic peels ( chemical peel) once in every 2 weeks till the patient gets good improvement. Along with chemical peels, I recommend then to use lightening gel like Kojiglo or Kojivit or Cosglo to be applied over the XXXXXXX before going to sleep and can be left over night. This lightening gel should be applied in the morning as well over the marks after washing the face. You may use Adaferin gel can be applied over the cheeks in the evening for 4 hours and washed off. In addition to the above I would start a gel form of unscreen like Ansolar gel cream to be applied in the mornings and for reapplication every 3-4 hours.

You can contact a dermatologist practicing cosmetology for getting chemical peels done. You will get best results with the topical agents as I described above.

Dark spots will be more severe if you squeeze or touch the pimples. So kindly avoid touching the dark spots.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Had acne on cheek, applied Benzyl Peroxide, left with dark spots after popping. Applied Adeferin. Suggest? 2 hours later
Can you please explain what is glycolic peels. Is this a cream which has to be applied to a treatment done by a Dermatologist.

Does Aleo Vera help in reducing the dark spots.

lightening gel like Kojiglo or Kojivit or Cosglo can these bought OTC. Are these recognized brand names.

Will Adaferin gel help in removing the dark spots or it is only a maintenance gel to prevent acne reoccurring.

What is Ansolar gel cream. Is it a sunscreen and can I get it OTC.

Thanks for the prompt reply given so far
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 hours later
Hello Welcome back,
Glycolic peel is a procedure done by dermatologist. Glycolic acid, a derivative of sugarcane juice is applied over the face with a brush and neutralised after few minutes. It helps in lightening and also has a role in reducing pimples.
Aloevera has lightening properties , however applying juice directly can burn.
Yes, the lightening gels I mentioned can be procured over the counter. They are established brands. Use any one of them and not all three.
Adapalene has keratolytic and anti inflammatory properties, so theoretically it should help in dark spots as well, but in my experience this action of Adapalene is not very prominent, however it is a good maintenance gel to prevent new pimples.
Ansolar gel cream is a sun screen and yes you will get it OTC.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Had acne on cheek, applied Benzyl Peroxide, left with dark spots after popping. Applied Adeferin. Suggest? 27 hours later
One last question. I have bought Kojiglo today. Can I apply any one of the lightening gel as mentioned by you above without undergoing the chemical peel treatment as the spots are not that large. Will it have any effect. How long does it ordinarily take after i regularly start applying this gel to fade this marks.

Thanks once again for all the help.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can apply lightening gel without peel

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Even if you are not going for chemical peel, the lightening gel will still work.Chemical peel along with lightening gel will have an added benefit. It will subside in 2 weeks usually if the spots are not large if you regularly apply the gel. Sunlight will make the dark spots darker, so sunscreen is an important component in treatment.

Hope this helped.