Had achilles complete rupture followed by partial re rupture. Unable to stand on toes. Stone hard area at the bottom of calf muscle. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Let me give you a little context before I ask my question. I had an achilles complete rupture on March 20th, followed by a partial re-rupture while walking with the vaccum boot at the beginning of May, after an MRI my doctor decided to leave to boot a little longer on but I got it removed by early XXXXXXX after another MRI. Since then I am doing strengthening exercises everyday, seeing a physiotherapist twice a week and every day I get a little better at walking with less and less and limp although I am not yet walking limp-free neither am I able to stand on the toes of the injured leg without help of the other leg. Since we removed the boot, my physiotherapist noticed a stone-hard area at the bottom of my calf muscle. It went away with time, massages, ultrasound, and laser. A few weeks ago I however noticed a hard lump at the same place. This lump does not hurt at all, but I can move it around and it is hard as stone. What is it and what can I do about it?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly scar tissue

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I read your question and I understand that you had re-rupture of Achilles tendon.

It is almost 4 months since the 2nd injury and you are still limping and that might indicate that you did not have full healing of the rupture.

The lump you having in the calf could be scar tissue around the healing tendon which is very common but it could be a re-rupture.
I will recommend repeating the MRI scan of the calf muscles to check the healing of the tendon as you are still limping and unable to stand on the toes.

Have you had minimum of 6 weeks in plaster cast or boot after the the 1st and 2nd injury?

Please write back with the answer to my question so that I can help you better.