Had accident, two broken legs and skin grafting. On dalaudin and morphine pill. Concerned for addiction?

My son had a severe accident. two broken legs and skin grafting on both legs 3 weeks ago tomorrow. He is on dalaudin taken every three hours and one 12 hr morphine pill taken every 12 hrs.. I am so concerned of addiction. But he is in an abundance of severe pain. He is 35 yrs old

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The bones are covered by a leathery membrane called periosteum which is very sensitive.
That is why fracture produce most severe kind of pain in immediate period which decreases over time when healing takes place.
Treatment is also done in same way, initially opioids and later nonhabit forming weaker analgesics are given and the opioids are slowly tapered. Mostly the dependence issue does not trouble in these cases.
Opioids painkillers are worth use because patient comfort is of utmost importance.
I hope the advise will be helpful.