Had accident that affected back. Prescribed Lortab. Safe to take this drug?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have a question to ask about my mother. She had an accident at work that affected her back about 6 years ago. She has had surgery but it did not fix the problem. She got prescribed lortab 10/650 to take every 4 hours but she never takes more than 2-1/2 a day. I have seen where this medicine is killing people and I am concerned. Can you please tell me if this is a safe drug and if its a safe amount that she's taking?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Lortab 10/650 is a combination of OPIOID (NARCOTIC) analgesic - HYDROCODONE and NON OPIOID analgesic -ACETAMINOPHEN.
The commonly reported side effects with this combination are DROWSINESS, NAUSEA, VOMITING , CONSTIPATION & UNCLEAR THINKING.
Hydrocodone has the potential of HABIT FORMING nature and work less effectively when taken over longer periods of time.
Any allopathic medicine tend to produce adverse reactions in the body after prolonged usage. So the RISK-BENEFIT RATIO has to be weighed before prescribing any medicine for longer periods.

Below is the list of "Symptoms & Signs" when you should rush to the emergency department, if they manifest
*Confusion and unusual behaviour
*Light headedness / Fainting
*convulsions
*jaundice
* breathing problems (shallow respiration)

GENERALLY, THIS COMBINATION IS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE FOR SHORT TERM MANAGEMENT OF PAIN (HYDROCODONE 10MG AND ACETAMINOPHEN 650MG).

Hope I have answered your query. Happy to help if you need any more clarification.