Had accident, given sleeping injection. Done with CT scan and prescribed Epsolin and Strocit. Suggest?

Hi Sir,

My uncle met with accident .He spoke for 15 min ,he called home that he met accident .After wards he is kind of unconscious .Later he is shouting some words related to his work and his family .
We have admitted him in hospital ,they have given sleeping injection . In between he is saying I am alright ,will go home ,asking I am feeling to go for urine .But most of the time he is sleeping due to the sleeping injection .

Doctor suggested not to give any sleeping injection .They want to observe him ,reactions without sleeping pills.

I am attaching the CT scan reports .Please suggest whether we are going good treatment and further actions we need take . i READ THE DOCTOR SHEET AND OBSERVED FOLLOWING MEDICINE NAMES .

attached two scan reports .

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 40 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

I understand your concern.Based on the details you have given your uncle met with an accident leading to head injury.I have gone through the CT scan brain done on 14 and 15th of this month.

CT scan brain revealed brain damage, contusion of left frontotemporal lobe of brain ,left subarachnoid hemorrhage(bleed in sub arachnoid space, which is the space between layers of meninges covering the brain), and (R) preseptal edema and parietal subgaleal hematoma.

Successive CT scan shows same, there is no further new bleeds, or extension of hematoma which is a good sign. Your doctor suggestions of stopping sleeping medicine is correct and appropriate.Continue with same treatment.

If he was my patient here I would have started small dose of mannitol for edema, in addition to above.

Hope this will help you

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Hi Tech City
Follow-up: Had accident, given sleeping injection. Done with CT scan and prescribed Epsolin and Strocit. Suggest? 40 minutes later
inn these casess howw manyy daysys itt take to patientt too comee too normall.
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 23 minutes later

Based on neurological examination especially level of conciousness (glassgow coma scale > 10) one can tell the days to recover.

If he is conscious , and does not have R) hemiparesis ( can occur with left frontotemporal bleed and sub arachnoid haemorrhage) then early chance of recovery.

On an average he needs to be in hospital for a week to 10 days based on CT scan report.

Radiological recovery takes 3 months.

Hope this will help you.