Had accident during protected sex, more discharge. Is it ok to take Ellone? Is it risky if I am already pregnant?

Average
Question
Hi

I had sex on Saturday night past (early sunday morning) and we used a condom but I am afraid that it may have leaked, as I had more discharge than usual for the next couple of days. I have ordered 'ellaone' online and I wondered if it will be ok to take it about 127 hours after the sex, as this is when I will receive it. If I am not pregnant I understand it will be safe but would it be very risky if I am already pregnant? I am absolutely desperate and really cannot get into a position of being pregnant. I am not in a relationship and I am leaving the country next week to go travelling to the other side of the world. I'm really really worried. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
In case the condom has leaked and you are pregnant then taking an emergency contraceptive 127 hours after sex will have less than 50% efficacy. The chances of continuation of pregnancy are there if you have conceived.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Had accident during protected sex, more discharge. Is it ok to take Ellone? Is it risky if I am already pregnant? 9 hours later
Thanks for your answer. If I had sex on Saturday night and my period is due within the next few days, could I have an accurate test result if I try now? Even though it is only 5 days after the intercourse? Also, I would rather try to take the emergency contraceptive but I have read it could cause ectopic pregnancy and could be harmful if I have conceived?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Studies show that emergency contraceptive pills are effective if taken after 72 hours (up to 120 hours), but they are most effective in the first 72 hours. The effectiveness decreases after 72 hours but it is still better than taking no pills at all. It rarely causes an ectopic pregnancy.
Right now it is too early to test for pregnancy.
The hormonal changes- raised HCG levels do not appear until at least 10 days after conception.
You need to wait for your period to be overdue before going for a urine pregnancy test available at all the pharmacies.
For an early diagnosis, you can get your raising serum HCG titres evaluated 10 days after the date of intercourse under the guidance of your gynaecologist.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had accident during protected sex, more discharge. Is it ok to take Ellone? Is it risky if I am already pregnant? 29 minutes later
Thank you, that is helpful. I will take the pill when it arrives tomorrow as a back up. I have taken a pregnancy test just to ease my mind and it was negative but of course I'll try again next week. I am not entirely sure when my period is due as my cycle is not completely regular but I assume it will be due in about 6 days time. I will test again then. If I do retest 10 days after intercourse and it is negative would chances be that I am not pregnant or could I still have to test again if my period hasn't come by then? Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Only a blood test will show a pregnancy at ten days after conception. For a urine test, you will have to wait until after your periods are overdue.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.