Had accident. Minor skin abrasion and bump seen. Painful to walk. Which specialist should I go for?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 13 year old son fell off of a stunt bike about a week ago at summer camp. The bike handle jammed into his thigh when he attempted to jump off a ramp and fell. Initially, he did not think it was a big deal as it appeared to be a minor skin abrasion. However, a few days after the accident he noticed a bump which has been growing larger over the last week. I picked him up today from camp and he showed me a large scary lump (size of an apple) on his inner thigh. It is painful to touch and if he moves his leg beyond normal walking. I have never seen anything like this and wondering if there is anything we can do to treat or what kind of physician to see.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

Your son must have injured himself internally besides the skin abrassion. The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in his thigh. Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can take him to your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, give him hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, ask him to take absolute bed rest, administer anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

Kindly write back if you need more help, I'm available for follow up.