Had accident. Done CT scan. It showed involution changes and high high attenuation. Is it serious?

HI, I had a CT done and it came back that i had involution changes that were mildly advanced for my age...30. It also said that there was a small liner area of peripheral high attenuation. I had these done right after a car accident, but no one explained this to me.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The small linear area of peripheral high attentuation could possibly represent a subdural haematoma. This means that a small amount of blood has accumulated between duramater and arachnoidmater, 2 of the 3 membranes that surround the brain. This could be the result of the trauma that you sustained during your accident. If you do not have any symptoms at present, there is nothing that needs to be done for it. It can be expected to resolve on its own.
As far as the involution changes are concerned, there is marked individual variation and as long as you do not have any symptoms, I do not think you need to worry about this aspect.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Follow-up: Had accident. Done CT scan. It showed involution changes and high high attenuation. Is it serious? 1 hour later
Hi, thank you for your response, it was very helpful.
However you mentioned on both accounts that as long as I don't show any symptoms I should be ok. But I don't know what these symptoms might be. Can you please let me know what they what they are and if possible send me a link where I can further research them. Also I have the CT pictures and the x-ray, should I send them so that you can have a better look at the situation? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The symptoms that you should watch out for are:
a. Excessive sleepiness
b. Drowsiness
c. Any difficulty in speaking/ moving your hands or legs/ feeling some part
d. Difficulty in breathing

It is extremely unlikely that you develop these symptoms at this juncture. You can find details of this at WWW.WWWW.WW It would be good if you keep in mind that the information at this link talks about the most common symptoms. Treatment needs to be individualized and the regimen outlined here is by no means inclusive of all clinical scenarios.

It would be good if you can send me the CT and Xray. You can upload the images using the 'Upload your reports' section on the right.