Had abortion. Sugar levels are high. How should I proceed further?

Hi, I had an abortion 3 months back and have taken sugar test 2 days back. The levels are too high. First reading 115 After 1 hr (taken glucose) 233 After 2 hrs 229 and my glycosylated hemoglobin reading is 6.7. Could you please let me know how should I proceed further.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
start insulin before planning pregnancy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

Raised sugar seem to be a major cause, if not the only cause for the abortion in your case. You need to control your sugars with insulin under the guidance of your local diabetologist/endocrinologist. Oral medicines are not recommended in pregnancy as they tend to cross placenta, while insulin doesn't. When the sugars are under acceptable limits, plan for pregnancy. This will definitely cut down upon the risk of further mishaps. Insulin has to be continued throughout the pregnancy and lactation period. After that, you can think of shifting to oral pills depending on the sugar levels during that time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the followup queries, if any.