Had abortion. HPT showed positive. Having pregnancy symptoms. Reason?

Last period was Feb. 28th, 2013. Went in for a surgical abortion on April 5th, during that time their urine tests came back positive, but coudln't find anything on the ultrasound. One week after the abortion was performed I went for my check up and they said their urine tests showed negative, and that's all the examination or check up they performed at that time. They also told me that after 2 weeks at home pregnancy test will show up negative. 3 weeks later my at home pregnancy test still showed positive. I took another at home pregnancy test at 4 weeks after abortion and the lines are even darker then at 3 weeks after. I have all pregnancy symptoms. I went for a check up with the abortion Dr. today on 5/8/13 and his urnine test showed negative and his ultrasound showed negative for anything in my uterus. I am highly confused on weather I am pregnant or not, b/c my tests keep getting darker in lines, and I would be 10 weeks on Thursday. Help? Am I pregnant? Or what could be the cause in such different results from mine and the Dr.s.. He was not able to help me with answering why my tests are still positive, and I have taken about 8 of them. .
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later

There are many reasons for false positive home pregnancy test-
1) Contamination of sample.
2) HCG may present in various types of tumor like stomach cancer,ovarian cancer and cyst which secrete HCG and symptoms similar to pregnancy.
3) Wrong timing means for early done home pregnancy test,at least wait for 8days.
4) Improper testing.
5) Improper fluid use for testing.
6) Defective test kit.
7) Evaporation time only 10min. After that line becomes darker.
8) Effect of some medication.
9) After a few days of abortion urine test may be positive.

May be above mentioned one of the reason is responsible for your positive result.You may not be pregnant because ultrasonography shows nothing.If you are not satisfied take opinion from other doctor also.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.
Dr. Richa