Had abnormal liver function result. Suggest?

I've had a body mot and my liver function is abnormal my gamma-glutamyl transferase was scored as 43 can you explain this please
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...your GGT level appears to be normal.
Detailed answer....
Normal levels of GGT are 5-55 IU/ ml in females.
GGT level is used as diagnostic marker and is primarily elevated in diseases of liver,biliary system and pancreas.
Normally this is used more as marker for use of excessive consumption of alcohol and is monitored for people who are withdrawing from alcohol.
I hope it helps however I would be very happy to answer,if there is any other specific query in your mind.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Had abnormal liver function result. Suggest? 7 minutes later
According to lifescan that level is high 40 is normal and I need to go and see my gp . The other results are
Total protein 11
Albumin. 44
Bilirubin. 7
ALP. 79
GGT 43
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Good to hear from you.
Different labs follow different parameters for the investigations and hence they have different reference ranges.
Even going by the reference range of 40 as above limit for GGT value,your value of 43 is as good as normal.There can be various causes for mild elevations of GGT like intake of drugs like barbiturates,phenytoin,aspirin etc.
Sometimes,it may be mildly elevated without any cause.
I would want you to furnish the reference ranges for the other values sent by you,so that I am able to interpret them correctly and tell you rightly.