Had abdominal ultrasound cavitation. Now found out that I am pregnant. Could fetus be harmed?

Hello, I was yesterday on abdominal ultasound cavitation. Today I found out I am pregnant in week. Could be fetus harmed? it is better to go to abortation? Thank you wery much
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 50 minutes later
Studies have said that abdominal ultrasound cavitation is not recommended in pregnancy.The ultrasonic waves may have some harmful effect on the fetus. However,it cannot be said whether the pregnancy should be terminated unless there is proof of fetal anomaly.Since you are so early in the pregnancy,its impossible to say at this point whether the fetus has been harmed. At this stage,you cannot be advised to terminate.Further tests have to be done including an anomaly scan to determine if there is any fetal jeopardy. You need to be informed that the cavitation may or may not have caused harm to the fetus.You should be willing to take the risk of advancing the pregnancy or terminating it.Discuss the risks with your partner and talk with your doctor if required.