Had abdominal surgery, scar tissue due to cancer and pain in abdomen. Done with ultrasound and CAT scan. Will Vit E tablets help. Advise?

General Surgeon
Ive had abdominal surgery, due to cancer Ive been told I have scar tissue, Ive had ultra sound, cat scan, peridicoly I get pains in admoman , Is there any thing I can do to deal with the pain, until it pass's. I do not want to go to the emergency every time this happens. I try to watch what I eat, and is it possible that some foods don't digest fast enough in my stomach . Can you tell me if Vit E tablets would help. Please any suggestions, would be helpful, My doctor cant think of any thing.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Partial bowels obstruction due to radiation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

The pain you are dealing with is caused by abdominal adhesions and intestines harm due to radiation. Please note that radiation destroys not only tumor itself, but all other tissues which it reaches. Intestines are very sensitive for radiation. Intestines problems due to radiation usually gives symptoms after 10 or more years. And the pain wont get better. You need to prepare that it will gradually be worse and worse.
That is why, you should seek for help, you are unable to deal with it by yourself.
You should consult general surgeon or gastroenterologist. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done. Another surgery seems necessary.
In a meanwhile, to help with the pain, Buscolysisne, Metamizole might be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.