Had abdominal pain. Ultrasound revealed PCOS. Prescribed femilon and modus. Dependency on medicine for periods?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 24yrs yrs nw. Always had regular periods. Suddenly 3mnth back i got an abdominal pain for no reason at work. After doctors advice, in ultrasonography it was found that i had PCOS and the size of the right ovary was bigger than the left. i was asked to take femilon for next 3months. After 3month the ultrasonography report was normal but i missed my period on the 4th month (the month when i stopped having femilon). i did pregnancy test (HGC) and the report was negative. doctor prescribed me to have modus 10mg for next 5days (twice daily). i wanted to know, did my periods stopped cause i had femilon ???whether in future i will never get period on myself (as i used to get) ??? should i have to continue medicine everytime to get my period ???. have i lost my normality ????, i am extremly worried...plz help. will i become normal once again and get period without having medicine.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You dont have to be so concerned. Missed period is nothing serious and many healthy girls exeperience this even without specific symptoms or therapy. Nothing serious or permanent can happen. You should decide in consultation with your doctor what kind of PCOS treatment is necessary and is it necessary at all.

So, you ve been diagnosed by PCOS and it is in mild cases always treated by hormonal therapy. It can be treated by surgical procedures, but you don't need is now of course and it is much better to try with medicines. Femilon and Modus are both hormonal drugs used for treatment of irregular periods which are usually found in PCOS, ovarian disorders, endometrial disorders and similar.

When Femilon or similar drugs are used for the first time it is to be expected some kind of irregular or missed period because your body needs to adapt to ne hormonal levels. So one or few periods may be missed till menstrual cycle stabilize. Also, when those medicines are used for a while and then stopped , it will also cause irregular and missed periods for 1-2 months and after this everything will be normal as it was.

If you took it only for 3-4 months then your periods will stabilize in a short time even without modus.
It is possible that PCOS will cause some irregular and missed periods in future so just do frequent ultrasound check ups (once in 6 months) and don't worry. Sometimes, it is better to use Femilon when necessary with all its side effects then let PCOS to progress.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.