Had abdominal pain. CT and X ray showed cyst in ovary, Had tubes tied, on birth control. Missed period. Pregnant?

Question
I recently had lower and upper abdommial pain and went to the ER as a result. They sent me for X-rays and a CT scan which shows a 2cm cyst on my right ovary. I went to my GYN he gave me an XXXXXXX exam, but he didn't seem very concerned and as scheduled me for an ultrasound in two weeks. I had my tubes tied in 2009 after giving birth to my third child, and currently take birth control because my period was very heavy and severe cramps. I am suppose to get my period this week, but as of today I still haven't gotten it. I do have some vaginal discharge, but no sign of blood. I am wondering what is going on, and if I could be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
A small ovarian cyst fo size 2cm does not indicate a pathology or pregnancy. Such small cysts are usually physiologiocal variations and do regress on their own without any treatment after regular periods.
Since you are taking your birth control pill regularly, pregnancy is not likely. It is normal not to have any withdrawal bleeding while taking pills regularly.
Still to confirm this, you can wait for this week for your periods to start spontaneously and in case the bleeding does not start, go for a urine pregnancy test using a sensitive kit.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Had abdominal pain. CT and X ray showed cyst in ovary, Had tubes tied, on birth control. Missed period. Pregnant? 55 minutes later
During the CT of my abdomen would they have seen if I was pregnant or would the GYN have noticed during the XXXXXXX exam?
Follow-up: Had abdominal pain. CT and X ray showed cyst in ovary, Had tubes tied, on birth control. Missed period. Pregnant? 7 hours later
I was recently in the ER for upper abdominal pain, and they ran routine tests. One of the test was a urine sample and when I received the final reports from the hospital this is what they said:

COLOR, URINE-YELLOW
APPEARANCE-CLEAR
GLUCOSE,URINE-NEGATIVE
BILIRUBIN,URINE-NEGATIVE
KETONE,URINE-NEGATIVE
SPECIFIC GRAVITY,URINE 1.025
PH,URINE 6.0
PROTEIN,URINE-NEGATIVE
UROBILINOGEN,URINE 0.2
NITRITE,URINE-NEGATIVE
OCCULT BLOOD, URINE 1+
LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE,URINE-NEGATIVE
RBC,URINE 11-19
EPITHELIAL CELLS MANY
BACTERIA, URINE 2+
MUSCUS THREADS, URINE 2+

PRELIMINARY RESULTS GRAM POSITIVE COCCI
IDENTIFICATION TO FOLLOW
ORGANISM 1 STREPTOCOCCUS VIRIDANS

Should I be concerned with these results?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
During the XXXXXXX examination, your gynecologist would have detected the pregnancy if your were more than 6 weeks pregnant. CT scan would have detected the pregnancy of more than 5 weeks.
The urine results are suggestive of a urinary infection with gram positive cocci. You need to take antibiotics according to the culture sensitivity report to cure the infection. Meanwhile start taking plenty of fluids and fresh cranberry juice orally for symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.