Had a vp brain shunt put in. Taking medicine. Are prescribed medicine safe?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hello doctor my wife 38years old had a vp brain shunt put in 7months ago and she is on meds famotidine- metroprol -amlodipine and lisinopril and also taking tb meds until july. her blood pressure is normal about 130 over 84 but in doctors office its higher its about 150 over 90 but comes back to normal after the appointment and always fine just only higher in doctors office. ok. my question is does she need all these meds? we keep looking up computer and some not seem quite right for her we think its too much meds. she very healthy and excercising very regularly and no bad habits.somewhat confused on this please respond thank you if you have any questions for since this is unlimited pleas ask and we will respond thank you so much. God bless you!
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 38 minutes later

Regarding the VP shunt, I assume it is working well.

The history you have mentioned about the blood pressure, we call it as "White coat Hypertension".

If her blood pressure is normal at other place except in doctor's office, then the medications provided are appropriate and not excess. Otherwise she should have felt hypotensive (low BP).

Anyway, you can discuss with the cardiologist freely about this. Cardiologists are the ones who deal with this condition.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.