Had a valve replacement. Developed seroma at the incision. Why does it keep coming back?

I had heart surgery (valve replacement) and the bypass machine was hooked up to my circulatory system in my groin. After surgery I developed a seroma at that incision. It was drained several times but has always come back and larger. What is reccommended to stop this?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Persistent cases of seromatous effusions at incision sites post surgery, are best treated by first assessing the lymphatic circulation supplying the area. And then resecting the area completely along with the supplying lymph vessels. This will prevent the effusion and removal of the sac will prevent recurrence.

This decision will be at the discretion of your surgeon, obviously.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.