Had a tummy tuck. Have sharp pain in navel. Internal stitch causing this? Are there complications?

Hi I had a tummy tuck in aug 11 and after exercising recently I am getting sharp pain like hot poker on one side of my belly button, it's very painful could it be a XXXXXXX stitch causing it? It dosent feel like a muscle pain so bit worried I've done something! I have recently started exercising 4 weeks ago, I am in good health and had no complications following the surgery.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

The pain may be due to the entrapment of nerve in the scar tissue. Pain due to XXXXXXX stitch is less likely.

Pain in the bellybutton can occur for a variety of reasons, like simplest being over eating or eating certain food that doesn't set well in your stomach. Cystitis and UTI ( but it is less likely in your case as you have not mentioned any burning micturation), hernia (again less likely as there is no associated swelling) and others like gall stones and appendicitis can be excluded by clinical symptom and by ultrasound abdomen.

As you have mentioned you have started exercising, poor exercise choices and improper stretching techniques may be responsible for causing pain.

I advice you refrain from stretching or exercising for about day or two. Place an ice pack and over the counter analgesic. Stay hydrated and prevent constipation.

I advice you to seek medical attention if pain is severe, sudden or becomes constant. In addition, contact a doctor immediately if pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, a high body temperature.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.