Had a tubal ligation after baby birth. Breastfeeding at night. Not getting periods. What are the complications?

I had a baby on April 4th of this year and had a tubal ligation (mini-laparotomy) 10 hours after my daughter was born. I breastfed up until about 2 weeks ago when I introduced the bottle. I am only breastfeeding at night time now. I have not had a period yet and this past week I have been cramping really bad but have not started bleeding. The cramps are not debilitating yet but feel like they are getting to that point and are more of a burning cramp than anything. Today, my cramps were so bad that the pain spread to my thighs. I have had no issues with urinating or bowel movements. I had a cyst removed off my ovary 4 years ago and the pain is somewhat resemblance minus the bleeding. I have had 4 miscarriages since Nov 2007. Should I wait the cramps out or plan to see my PCP ASAP?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 43 minutes later

I think you should consult your PCP.

There are chances that you might having menstrual cramps, still it is always better that you get your self examined.

At times after any type of surgery or procedure in abdomen, the intestine have tendency to stick together and in efforts to get separated they give rise to pain. This common and there is nothing to worry about it, but examination us must.

Please take light diet, plenty of liquids and avoid doing strenuous work. You can take anti spasmodic tablets that you are comfortable with.

In case the pain or discomfort does not go, you need to see your doctor soon.

Please visit your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: Had a tubal ligation after baby birth. Breastfeeding at night. Not getting periods. What are the complications? 8 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I didn't think about it last night, but my lower abdomen is also swollen and hurts to push on it. Also, the pain is greater in my left side.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 25 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Please try measures already suggested and consult your doctor.

Avoid putting pressure and lifting weight.
Take anti spasmodic tablets for some relief.
Try to avoid solids and take more of liquids.