Had a tubal ligation. Prolonged bleeding. Have ovarian cysts and fibroid tumors. Why is my abdomen distended?

I am 44 years old and had a tubal ligation at 27. I've experienced bleeding for over 30 days with the last week soaking through 2 pads an hour and tampons were useless. The bleeding is under control right now with the help of birth control pills (3 a day). I had a XXXXXXX and external ultrasound resulting in finding an ovarian cysts and 4 fibroid tumors and thickness in my uterine wall. My next step this week is an uterine biopsy. I've recently noticed my abdomen is becoming quite distended. I've never had a stomach before. Is this a related sympton?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
You are having heavy and prolonged vaginal bleeding,a menstrual disorder called Menorrhagia.
There are many cause for having such heavy bleeding commonest being:-
-Female hormone imbalance,
-Uterine fibroids,
-Disorders of the uterine lining,
-Uterine,ovarian or cervical cancer,
-Endometrial hyperplasia,
-Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, to name a few.
In your case it is more likely that the bleeding is due to Ovarian cyst,fibroids and endometrial hyperplasia(increased thickness of endometrial lining).
To help you better I would like to ask you to write back with some details like:-
-What is the size and type of your ovarian cyst?(as written in your ultrasound report)
-What is the size of the fibroid?
A uterine biopsy will help the doctor to reach a proper diagnosis.
Regarding the bloated or distended feeling of abdomen yes it is a symptom related to your problem.
Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Had a tubal ligation. Prolonged bleeding. Have ovarian cysts and fibroid tumors. Why is my abdomen distended? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor for your reply. I don't know sizes, but I will ask when I go for the biopsy this week. The ultrasound was sent directly to my doctor. I did have bloodwork already and my thyroid and hormone levels were within normal ranges. I will write back when I have sizes. Thank you for inviting me to do so.
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 8 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

It is good to know that your bleeding is controlled with pills. Go ahead with the biopsy as planned and follow up with your doctor.

Your gynecologist will be able to plan further treatment after the biopsy.

As you do not have the reports currently, you can write back to me once you have both the reports - ultrasound and biopsy report. I will be glad to assist you further.

Let me know if you have any more concerns as of now.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had a tubal ligation. Prolonged bleeding. Have ovarian cysts and fibroid tumors. Why is my abdomen distended? 2 days later
Hi Doctor:

I had my biopsy today and spoke with my Dr. She said my ovarian cyst is only 2.5 and the least of my concerns. She also said the fibroids were very small. Her biggest concern was the lining of my uterus and the fact that my uterus was enlarged (I didn't realize that). I am feeling better, but I am also prepared for the worst. What are your thoughts? Nothing is going to upset me. I just need some answers and she said next week sometime. Any input would be appreciated and I won't freak. I don't feel good most of the time. SO tired. Pregnant tired, which I am not. I also can't hold my urine for too long and I used to only move my bowels 1 time a week, now twice a day and it's runny. Sorry to be so graphic. No one wants tell me anything. Will you tell me the possibilities?
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The most common cause of a thickened endometrial lining at your age is an endometrial hyperplasia. The exact nature of this ( simple or complex ) can only be decided after the biopsy report. Endometrial hyperplasia is commonly due to hormonal disturbances most commonly caused by chronic anovulation in your case.
It is unlikely that you have endometrial cancer since this is commonly seen in women in the age group of 60-70 years. However, this is a possibility which nevertheless needs to be excluded.
As the ovarian cyst is 2.5 cm in a size and the fibroids are also small I guess these should not be a major problem to be worried about as rightly suggested by your doctor.
So I would suggest that you wait for the biopsy report.
Hope this answer is helpful