Had a total hip replacement, knee started to swell. No pain, just stiff and swollen. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago. Opposite knee started to swell 3 weeks ago. No pain, just stiff and swollen.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 33 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence. I felt important information is missing.

Will you please answer some questions so that I can understand better?

-Is there history of any injury to the opposite knee?

-Is there an history of recent fever or diarrhea?

-Is there any pain or swelling in other joints ?

Please reply.

Follow-up: Had a total hip replacement, knee started to swell. No pain, just stiff and swollen. Suggest? 28 minutes later
In reply to your 3 queries, there is no history of previous injuries. There has been no fever or diarrhea and there is no swelling in any other joints.
My operation went very well and, until this swollen knee, I was making a good recovery.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 31 minutes later
Thanks for information.

In absence of any injury or fever,This looks to be synovitis or bursitis knee.In this condition there is affection of lining of knee.This can be a inflammation of lining of knee joint(SYNOVITIS).At present you should do following-

-Consult to your doctor & have a routine blood examination.This should include ESR & XXXXXXX

-Have a x XXXXXXX of knee to know presence of early arthritis of knee.

-Start taking a good anti inflammatory analgesic medicines like voltren. Discuss this from your doctor.

-Avoid vigorous activities.

-Do warm fomentation to decrease pain & cold fomentation with ice to reduce swelling.You may do it alternatively for 2 minutes i.e. 2 minutes cold fomentation with ice pack then 2 minutes rest & then 2 minutes with warm pack.This is known as contrast bath.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.