Had a tiny minuscule taste of blood in saliva. Snoring and suffered from nose bleeds. Suggest treatment

ENT Specialist
I woke up and and after an hour or so I had a tiny minuscule taste of blood in my saliva . I snore and had a dry throat on waking and was wondering what could if caused it. The blood visible in my spit was tiny . I have suffered from nose bleeds before and sometimes blow my nose hard .
I'm 34 year old male and ex social smoker,
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nasal decongestants and humidification of bedroom

Detailed Answer:

There are few points from where the blood may have come.
1. As you snore and have dry throat on waking up, most likely inference is that you are a mouth breather while asleep. This leads to dryness of the mucosal lining the throat as the humidification of air which occurs while passing through nose does not happen. The dried mucosa usually develops micro laceration s and these can be a cause of streaks of blood in saliva or a blood tinged saliva.
2. Also as you have history of nose bleeding, there can be some point in nose from where some bleeding may have trickled down in throat but the possibility is less from your history.
3. Some times bleeding from gums can also present like this.
4. The bleeding can also come down- the food pipe and stomach area (GIT) and chest. However it looks unlikely from your description.

I would suggest you use nasal decongestant drops for few days and place a steamer for sometime in your bedroom to increase the humidity content of air which will be good for the dryness part. If you routinely suffer from gastric reflux, please use proton pump inhibitors for few days and your doctor can guide regarding this.

If symptoms persist consult an ENT surgeon for further evaluation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.