Had a tick bite. Getting joint pain and tiredness. Could it be lyme disease?

I am looking for a doctor in Northeast Ohio for lyme disease testing. I had a tick bite in August of last year and no immediate rash but increasing tiredness and joint pains. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

I sincerely understand your concern.

The history of tick bite and current symptoms suspect it to be Lyme disease. We need lab confirmation since there is no characteristic rash.

You can get blood test for IgG antibody for Borrelia. If positive, you need to get Western Blot test done to confirm it. Some experts also use joint fluid to be sure about Lyme disease causing the joint pains. If IgG is positive along with Western Blot you can be spot on the diagnosis.

You know that a local physician / Infectious disease specialist will be able to order this for the insurance to cover. I am not sure if it can be tested in any clinical lab 'Walk In' with cash.

You can notice in this link here, WWW.WWWW.WW . The NE Ohio is prevalent with infected ticks that cause Lyme disease.

The other nearest diagnosis for the joint pains that clinicians consider (negative labs) are Fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue syndrome etc. So you still have hope to recover from the current symptoms by looking into the other possibilities.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.