Ask a Dentist   »  

Had a temperature, crown put on with painkillers. Have lump under tooth and jawline. What to do?

Since Tuesday when I had a temp. Crown put on and had 3 shots of pain killer, I have large lump under the tooth and on jawline. Not sure I want to go back to this new dentist. What to do?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 29 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing your query.

According to your clinical history, I suspect the swelling or the lump formation under your jaw line is related to the infected tooth in your oral cavity.

Bacterial decay or pulpal infection of the tooth progresses to the underlying tissues leading to formation of periodontal abscess which may spread to surrounding structures like jaw bone and adjacent teeth leading to formation of lump.

Painkillers will give you temporary relief, for permanent solution you need to get the infected tooth treated approaching a dentist.

I would suggest you to get the X XXXXXXX examination done for the affected area, which will enable us to see the spread of infection and the tissues involved.

Accordingly the abscess can be drained or the lump can be treated by a course of antibiotic and analgesics, infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure if needed followed by restoration of the tooth by a permanent crown coverage.

Since you are a diabetic patient and under medication, this should not interfere your dental treatment, please approach a dentist for necessary treatment.

I hope this helps.

Do write back if you have further queries.

Dr.Farah Hussain.