Had a tearing and burning sensation on right waist area. Pains when coughing, sneezing. On advil. Anything else?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Four nights ago I went to turn over and I had this horrible tearing, burning pain on my right side waist area. Basically if you put your hands on your waist, that is where the pain was on the right side. As soon as I stood up the pain lessened, then I laid back down and went to sleep. Since then I feel a dull ache on that side, but it is really sharp if I turn the wrong way, cough, sneeze or laugh. It hurts a little more also when I go from a sitting to standing positions and vice versa. I take Advil and it relieves the pain. I have no fever, a normal appetite, regular bowel movements,etc. My mom says it is a pulled muscle, as does another doctor I consulted. Being overweight doesn't help either. I am extremely paranoid and tend to panic when things don't feel right. I've noticed the pain hasn't gotten worse, actually slightly better, unless I move the wrong. However, by the end of the day I notice all these other minor aches and pains all around my right side. I attribute it to my other muscles compensating for the strain. I just wanted to know what your opinion is.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your symptoms, the cause of pain on your right side is most likely to be due to a muscle sprain.
Bad body posture, being overweight, lifting any heavy weights, etc will aggravate the pain. Usually such mild pain does improve after taking a mild pain killer. Doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will be helpful.
You can also take methylcobalamin supplements for the burning sensation you had. In case the pain is persistent, you can take oral muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician.

Waiting for your response.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.